> Thank you for a potentially useful reply (my one and only so far).
>
> I will try again and try scrolling up and up and up...
> Will a simple xterm (or any other standard term) scroll up enough?
> There
> is a LOT of info whizzing by on the screen.
>
> I just wish that XFree would actually produce a useful config.log or
> error.log.
> What are they (the XFree people) thinking?

Umm...try using your build command (havn't done a source rpm command
in ages so I forget the syntax...please forgive me) with a
> /usr/src/buildlog  at the end

ie if you were typing rpm -bv <rpmname> to build the RPM,
type
rpm -bv <rpmname> > /usr/src/buildlog
instead

that will redirect std output to a textfile called Buildlog in /usr/src
If you really want to get fancy, try the following

rpm -bv <rpmname> > /usr/src/buildlog 2> /usr/src/builderr

that will do the above and redirect stderr to a different file for your
reading enjoyment

Hope this helps
Andrew