On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 03:34:38PM +0300, Dovydas Kulvinskas wrote:
> Charles Curley wrote:
> >
> > On Wed, Oct 18, 2000 at 02:17:12PM +0300, Dovydas Kulvinskas wrote:
> > >   Hello,
> > >
> > >  Any ideas, how to make HP Colorado backup tape apend data or to create
> > > new volumes?
> >
> > Well, you didn't say anything about what software you are using or which
> > Colorado tape drive you are using. So I'll guess you are using tar and mt.
> >
> > Any tape drive has two devices, one for rewind, one non-rewind. The
> > rewind device automatically rewinds the tape after a read or write, so
> > positioning the device at the beginning of the tape again, ready for some
> > other action on the volume just written. To write several volumes to a
> > tape, use the non-rewind device.
> >
> > For example: the rewind device for my travan drive is /dev/st1, and the no
> > rewind device is the same file name witn an n prefixed, like so:
> > /dev/nst1.
>
>  Sorry:
>
>  I'm using HP Colorado 8GB internal ide tape device.
>  lsmod (ide-tape               18848   0  (autoclean))
>  It uses /dev/ht0 & /dev/nht0
>  I know, that the first time i should use it:
>       tar cvf /dev/ht0 /home/dir1
>  all other times:
>       tar cvf /dev/nht0 /home/dir2
>       tar cvf /dev/nht0 /home/dir1  ???

I don't think so. The first tar command you show uses the rewind
device. It does the first backup, then rewinds the tape. So the second
command writes over the first backup. I don't think that's what you
want. Rather, use the no rewind device for all the backups save the last.

>  No, how to restore data? IF i'm using:
>       tar tf /dev/nht0    >  I'm always geting result dir2 listing

That result is consistent with what I describe above.

>  if i use:
>       mt -f /dev/ht0 fsf 1(2)
>  and again:
>        tar tf /dev/nht0    >  I'm always geting result dir2 listing

Same problem. The mt command positions the tape correctly, then
rewinds. leaving you pointing to the first archive on the tape. But, since
the first archive you made was overwritten by the second, the first
archive on the tape is the second archive you made.

--

                -- C^2

No windows were crashed in the making of this email.

Looking for fine software and/or web pages?
http://w3.trib.com/~ccurley