Use mirrordir, you can make an exact image and also use it to
regularly update the image. I use it on server to maintain a second
hard drive (updated nightly) that I can boot from if my primary
should fail. Seems by far (apart from expensive solutions such as
RAID) the easiest way to make sure you can get up and running again
fast in the case of a failed primary drive.

--
Regards,

Eric Mings Ph.D.