Hans Sandsdalen a écrit :

> Hi
>
> Samba runs fine on one of my servers, but after a while it hangs
> (clients are unable to connect).
>
> smbstatus reports status but ends with this:
>
>     Can't create or use IPC area. Error was File exists
>     ERROR: Failed to initialise share modes
>     Can't initialise shared memory - exiting
>
> Any ideas?
>
> --
> /hans

Hello
Does your samba server belong to a NT domain, and are you using
"security = server"? If so you could have an overflow if you have too
many clients connecting to that server. Try to use "security = domain"
instead of "server": By using security = server/domain, you are
requesting autentication by an existing PDC/BDC. The difference is that
if you use "domain", an encrypted RPC channel will be opened for the
authentication, and will be closed when its done. If you use "server",
it will be held open, and will result in an overflow ("too many channels
opened") after a while.

I don't know your actual configuration, but i can imagine you are
working in a real Microsoft NT-Domain, with a NT4 PDC and that your
Samba-box is only a member of that domain and that you're not using it
for authentication at all. I might be wrong, but if i'm right, i'll be
glad to have your feedback!
regards,
--
Sylvestre Taburet - Services Department ................
: MandrakeSoft, 43 rue d'Aboukir, 75002 Paris - FRANCE :