I installed the tar files for rc2, and all is fine.
If I recall, I also installed (rpm -i) qt-2.2.1. For some
reason the -Uvh didn't work for qt2.

-----Original Message-----
From: Praedor Tempus [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: Wednesday, October 25, 2000 11:36 AM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] Niiiiice. Kill off kde STABLE 2.0 immediately

Gerald Williams wrote:

> On Wednesday 25 October 2000 10:39, you wrote:
>
> > > Gerald Williams wrote:

> > > I did, and it works okay
[...]
> > > While you do need to update a few, again, a few files, it's not a major
> > > problem. You do NOT need the latest glibc from cooker or the latest
> > > gcc2.96 compiler.  FUD does not help. Nuff said.
> >
> > Not fud, it is a factual description of what is happening with my
> > system.
>
> If you had said the above, the first time, I probably would not have
> replied. It is screwed up on your system--ok, but don't go on about it
> being totally broken.  Try upgrading your qt to the correct version and try
> again. If you want to continue, take it off list.

My qt IS updated.  The latest qt2 packages were the first I upgraded
since KDE is absolutely dependent upon it.

Few questions.  What version of libstdc++ do you have?  What
version of menu?  What version of rpm?

I believe these packages are the only logical possible problems,
at least in my case.  During rpm install of most of the KDE
packages and the install of qt2, my /usr/bin/update-menus
crashes/core dumps.  This binary is supplied by menu.  Menu
requires the appropriate libstdc++ (I believe).  It also,
obviously, ties into the rpm install process.

I am HOPING it is merely something simple like libstdc++,
that all I need to do is install the proper version.  During
an attempt to build qt2 source several days ago, the build
would fail because the configure script couldn't find
libstdc++.  Bizarre, because libstdc++ is right there in
/usr/lib, which is in my /etc/ld.so.conf file, and I have
run ldconfig in an attempt to make sure it is "known" about.

praedor