My /var/lib/rpm has been deleted. I don't know how it happened - I suspect
Mandrake Update (it was killed during a troublesome download), but I have no
proof. Or perhaps it was someone else in DrakConf ? A case for Inspector Clouzot
perhaps??
Now I am there, how do I get out? I have looked at Maximum RPM, and I cannot
understand how rpm --initdb or rpm --rebuilddb can help unless rpm has access
to the original rpm files. Anyway, if I try rpm --initdb or rpm --rebuilddb or
rpm -anything I always get the same message:
      "failed to open /var/lib/rpm/packages.rpm: No such file or directory"
before rpm jacks out. So I can't install, upgrade or anything.
Do I really have to start from scratch again? If so, RPM and friends need a
government health warning. I back up /root, /home and /etc regularly, but I
didn't know how vital /var/lib/rpm is, and how vulnerable. Has anyone got any
other vital backup suggestions I may not be aware of?