This behaviour (having to set the total memory to a meg less than the
actual) is specific to your motherboard chipset as it reserves 1 megabyte of
the system RAM for use by the video display.

I have seen the mem parameter normally working by using the full amount of
physical memory (except of course in the case of i810 chipsets!).

Cheers,
Makis.