Running Mandrake 7.1, with KDE2 installed from RPMs from Mandrake
7.2beta and Helix GNOME.

Okay, so this is completely my own stupid fault. I had lpd running
perfectly well, with no problems whatsoever. But in a pique of
curiousity, and without thinking things through properly, I decided to
try out CUPS. So I installed it, couldn't get it set up properly, and
so decided to go back to lpd. So I removed cups and reinstalled lpd,
and used printtool to set up my printer again.

But now only root can print!

I don't know why---I've read through the printing howto, and checked
the file permissions and everything looks fine:

# ls -l /etc/printcap
-rw-r--r--    1 root     lp            424 Oct 29 02:51 /etc/printcap
# ls -ld /var/spool/lpd
drwxrwxr-x    3 root     lp           4096 Oct 29 06:57 /var/spool/lpd/
# ls -ld /var/spool/lpd/lp/
drwxr-xr-x    2 root     lp           4096 Oct 29 07:01
/var/spool/lpd/lp/
# ls -l /var/spool/lpd/lp/
total 32
-rwx------    1 lp       lp           9479 Oct 29 02:51 filter*
-rw-------    1 lp       lp            187 Oct 29 02:51 general.cfg
-rw-r-----    1 root     root           33 Oct 29 07:01 lock
-rw-------    1 lp       lp            335 Oct 29 02:51 postscript.cfg
-rw-rw-r--    1 root     root           25 Oct 29 07:01 status
-rw-------    1 lp       lp            148 Oct 29 02:51 textonly.cfg

However, if I issue a simple "lpr <some-text-file>" or "lpr
<some-ps-file>" as an ordinary user (who IS a member of the lp group)
then nothing happens. No warning message, nothing in the queue, just
nothing). Doing the same as root does work, as does printing the test
pages from within printtool.

Now given that everything was working fine, and not much has changed,
then I clearly have some small thing set up incorrectly. I would realy
appreciate some help with this. Any suggestions?

Thanks in advance,

Darren