Hi,

    I'm new to Linux but I cut my teeth on SVR4 so I'm pretty familiar
with Unix like systems; but I'm stumped on this one.

I'm trying to build a program that uses the mesa3d libs the package
(freedraft-0.38) uses the standard GNU configuration tools which are
normally very effective. In this case however it is not finding the
requisite libraries even though they exist. The problem seems to be due
to library versioning I can make the configure scripts work by
symbolically linking (for example) libGLU.so.1 to libGLU.so but this
seems to me to be wrong in that I shouldn't have to do this if library
versioning is working properly. I have run ldconfig as well as checking
that /etc/ld.conf.so contains an entry for the path where the libraries
are stored all to no avail.

Can anyone help here???

I also have a minor configuation query. When working on SVR4 it was
possible to run man on the console and then press the DEL key to kill it
and get back to the command promt without the screen being cleared. This
was very conveniant because the remnants of the manual page were left
displayed thus making typeing the syntax of an unfamiliar command less
of a memory feat. I can't do this in any of the terminal windows
supplied.
As soon as I press q to get out of less the screen is cleared. I would
like to change this behaviour but I don't know whether it is a function
of man less or the terminal app.

Any ideas???

I previously posted this on "newbie" but was advised that this was more
appropriate for expert.

                        Regards,

                                    Colin H. Close

[EMAIL PROTECTED]