On Sun, 29 Oct 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> In a message dated 29-Oct-00 18:07:05 Central Standard Time,
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:
>

> > how do you setup a second user to have the same access as root
> > a user that will be able to change root password.
> > In novell that is one of the first things we were taught was to have 2 admin
> > accounts so you wont get locked out of your system.

Here's an option I haven't seen anyone mention yet: if you haven't
already, check out the excellent "sudo" package. RPMs should be available
on www.rpmfind.net. It lets you set up a user to have full or partial root
access without having to have the root password, and it logs everything
the user does as root.

For example, on my home machine, I have account "jeff". I've set up sudo
so that "jeff" has root priviledges. If I want to do something that only
"root" can do, like run "vipw", I would run it like this:

$ sudo vipw

Sudo would then ask me for my password (as opposed to the root password),
would log the fact that I tried to run vipw, and would execute vipw for me
as root.

Advantages:
1. It saves lots of logging out and in, having to open a separate xterm
just for root access, etc.
2. It provides a log of what I've done, in case I need to backtrack.
3. If I ever see that someone has actually logged in as root, I know
there's something odd going on, because I do it so rarely.
4. If I need to recover root access, I can use sudo access to do it. "sudo
passwd root" ought to work (I haven't tried it yet), and even if it
doesn't I can get a root shell with "sudo su -" (which I've verified
works).

- Jeff