"J . A . Magallon" wrote:

> > I cannot work in text mode, and that if some error message
> > appears during boot I never see it. I know about the Svgatext
>
> See /var/log/dmesg, and /var/log/boot.log

If what fails is X or XDM I never get to do that....
That's why I need badly readable text from the very start.

> I hardocde vga=6 in /etc/lilo.conf. It gives a fine 80x60
> standard mode.

I have a fixed frequency monitor, so I have to be sure that the
mode is right before doing that. What I was looking for is
explanation/documentation on how to calculate horizontal and vertical
frequency from the mode name, i.e.:

        80x60 -> Resolution 640x80, 60 MHz HSYNC, 76 Hz VSYNC,