If you do a custom install;
select the diskdrake for partitioning
leave your /home directory alone (most of your user settings will be the same)
reinstall
you will have a smp kernel installed and running if you have a smp machine.
This only takes about 8 to 12 minutes on my system for a pretty complete
install
(what did you people at Mandrake do, to get this much improvement in install
speed with this version? It's kind of amazing. Large installs used to take
between 18 and 40 minutes.  )

On Monday 06 November 2000 08:27 am, you wrote:

> > On my brother's machine it loaded the SMP kernel even though he has one
> processor in his dual processor board.
>
> Stephen Boulet wrote:
> > If you have one processor, I don't know whether smp is installed by
> > default. You can always compile and install your own kernel. See the
> > documentation for that.

Douglas Moreen
email   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
phone   406-375-0566