I am currently running XFree86 3.3.6, but I have been experimenting
with 4.0.0. I can get 4.0.0 started in runlevel 3 with startx if I use
the pixmap24 option.

How do I tell KDM and GDM to use this option if I want to use runlevel
5? I have editted /etc/X11/xdm/Xservers to contain the following:

0 local /usr/X11R6/bin/X -pixmap24

but this has no effect for GDM (I haven't tried KDM yet but GDM is what
I normally use). Does anyone know what should be editted for GDM and
KDM?

Thanks in advance,

Darren