Hi Buchan
                and thanks for the reply. I think I got one other, but KMAIL
LOST IT before it got read, so if you replied, please resend it.

        I haven't changed hostname, or it hasn't changed itself. The last
changes were to fit an agp graphics card in place of a pci one, and to update
modutils in a vain attempt to get harddrake running. This latter one caused
complaints, and I was intending to downgrade again. modules were for
inconsequential things anyhow (soundcard, scanner) in that particular kernel.

        Booting to runlevel 3 as you suggested changed nothing. But I
did get an interesting insight from a console attempt to mount /dev/hdd3.
It gave me something like:
DMA Disabled hdd: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
DMA Disabled hdc:
ide 1 reset: success
Prompt#

Then I found this in /var/log/messages on the old drive. At THIS stage hdb =
Seagate 4.3 Gig drive with hdd my new 6.5 gig drive.

Nov  5 19:23:26 genius kernel: hdb: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete
DataRequest }
Nov  5 19:23:26 genius kernel: hda: DMA disabled
Nov  5 19:23:26 genius kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
Nov  5 19:23:26 genius kernel: ide0: reset: success

It would appear DMA is erratic on this drive, hence my problem :-((. It has
failed on both ide 0 and ide 1.  I don't think xfs runs on the thing. It hangs
at the bootup stage when it's mounting the disks, which is before most processes
start, in the mandrake_everytime script ... but I'm illiterate in perl :-((.