Declan Moriarty wrote:

>         Hi Buchan
>                 and thanks for the reply. I think I got one other, but KMAIL
> LOST IT before it got read, so if you replied, please resend it.
>
>         I haven't changed hostname, or it hasn't changed itself. The last
> changes were to fit an agp graphics card in place of a pci one, and to update
> modutils in a vain attempt to get harddrake running. This latter one caused
> complaints, and I was intending to downgrade again. modules were for
> inconsequential things anyhow (soundcard, scanner) in that particular kernel.

This could be the reason X crashes (having changed the display card).
Most people would suggest adding a level 3 boot option before you do
this, so you can run (XFDrake|Xconfigurator|XF86Setup). XFdrake will
also let you know if xfs is running.

>         Booting to runlevel 3 as you suggested changed nothing. But I
> did get an interesting insight from a console attempt to mount /dev/hdd3.
> It gave me something like:
> DMA Disabled hdd: status=0x58 { DriveReady SeekComplete DataRequest }
> DMA Disabled hdc:
> ide 1 reset: success
> Prompt#

This is the ide driver giving up on you ide controller.

> Then I found this in /var/log/messages on the old drive. At THIS stage hdb =
> Seagate 4.3 Gig drive with hdd my new 6.5 gig drive.
>
> Nov  5 19:23:26 genius kernel: hdb: irq timeout: status=0x58 { DriveReady
>SeekComplete DataRequest }
> Nov  5 19:23:26 genius kernel: hda: DMA disabled
> Nov  5 19:23:26 genius kernel: hdb: DMA disabled
> Nov  5 19:23:26 genius kernel: ide0: reset: success

Same thing here. Did you have this problem before, and did you change
any settings with hdparm ? You might want to disable it or changing the
settings with hdparm. I'm not sure where mandrake put the "use harddrive
optimisation" setting ...

--
Cellphone                                           +27824722231