On Tuesday 21 November 2000 15:58, Wayne Wilson wrote:

[snip]
>   So Gnome is unuseable, X-Window seems problematical (is the Sawfish
> windowing system broke in 7.2?),
No, I promise you Gnome works wonderfully when the system is working
properly, I've experienced that myself. But unfortunately there seems to be
several 'infant' problems in the LM 7.2 dist, I've got problem's getting it
to boot normally in new installation (look at my mail on the list:  [expert]
serious boot problem with 7.2) but the first two installations were perfect
with a beautiful system, I was really impressed.

> Sound doesn't work,  I can't come close
> to my 7.1 system. Now I know you will all think I must be some kind of
> idiot to have all these problems, but let me assure you that I had no
> such problems in 7.1 and other than installing some applications (like
> MIT Kerberos) and using standard customizations (like panel auto-hide),
> everything is default from the installer process.  I have tried loading
> all the updates available for Mandrake and Helix-Gnome, they don't
> change this behavior at all.
>
> Am I the only unfortunate person to have these kinds of problems?
Be patient, seems like there are some helpful people on this list, sooner or
later you'll tame this beast.

Good luck,
ei

--