Expert(s),

I have an ABIT BP6 dual Celeron mobo with onboard Highpoint Technologies
UDMA66 controller.  I have two Maxtor 10Gb drives connected, one to each
ide bus (3&4) plus a 6gb boot drive on ide0 and a CDROM on ide1.  All drives
are bus masters.  I started with version 1.07 of the High Point BIOS and
then tried upgrading to version 1.25 with the same results.

I had a problem with Mandrake 7.1 (helium) where I would have to disable
DMA on these controllers or the system would hang anytime they were accesed,
but at least the system would boot.

After installing Mandrake 7.2 (Odyssey), the system will not even boot.
Following is output from the boot process:

      .
      .
      .
   HPT366: onboard version of chipset, pin1=1 pin2=2
   PCI: HPT366 Fixing interrupt 18 pin 2 to ZERO
   HPT366: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 98
   HPT366: chipset revision 1
   HPT366: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
     ide2: BM-DMA at 0xb400-0xb407, BIOS settings: hde=DMA, hdf=pio
   HPT366: IDE controller on PCI bus 00 dev 99
   HPT366: chipset revision 1
   HPT366: not 100% native mode: will probe irqs later
     ide2: BM-DMA at 0xc000-0xc007, BIOS settings: hdg=DMA, hdh=pio
   hda: Maxtor 90648D3 ATA DISK drive
   hdc: ATAPI CD-ROM DRIVE 40X MAXIMUM, ATAPI CDROM drive
   hde: Maxtor 91024U3, ATA DISK drive
   hdg: Maxtor 91024U3, ATA DISK drive

This is the last output from the boot process.  It will go no further, even
after hours of waiting, as in overnight.

I disconnected hdg and the boot proceeded a little further outputing the
following:

      .
      .
      .
   partition check:
     hda: hda1 hda2 < hda5 hda6 hda7>
     hde: timeout waiting for DMA
   ide_dmaproc: chipset supported ide_dma_timeout func only: 14

and then hangs here.

Disconnecting both UDMA66 drives allows the kernel to boot all the way.

The kernel that boots from the install CDROM has no problem with these drives
but the kernel that is installed during the boot process is not handling DMA
correctly.

Thanks for any assistance you might provide.

Peter F. Mastren             | Houston Chronicle       | If you're happy
[EMAIL PROTECTED]            | [EMAIL PROTECTED] |    you're
finger me for PGP Public Key | Phone: (713) 220-7689   |      successful
http://www.Mastren.org/Peter |   Fax: (713) 250-3114   |