> To copy a CD, you can try:
>
> dd if=/dev/cdrom of=<very_big_file.iso>   (yes, this works!)
>
> then just do a cdrecord of the iso file.

You bet it does...thanks for the response.  I've modified my script to
use dd rather than mkisofs.

> No need to use mkisofs at all.

You're right.  Since I've received a fair amount of email telling me
to use this or that shell program, I thought I'd state how I copy CDs
as it's infinitely easier and cleaner than dealing with all those
perl/tk shell programs.

1) load up your favorite editor and enter:

dd if=/mnt/cdrom of=cd.iso &&
cdrecord -v speed=6 dev=0,0,0 && cd.iso
rm cd.iso

2) Save that file copyCD and make it executable.

3) Attach the file to a desktop icon.

Then, when you want to copy a CD, put the source CD in /mnt/cdrom and
a blank CD in your writer and press the icon.  When the blinking stops
you've got a copy.  You could set up this code as a bash alias too if
that's the way you prefer to handle such things.

Thanks to those who responded and especially to you guys who suggested
the use of dd rather than mkisofs.

Cheers --- Larry