yea...2 different ide channels should show about a max possible of ~33mb/sec
(max bus on pci is around ~66mb/sec...think this is correct...jus' pulling
numbers out of my butt here....lol)

on bootup, does it state what the drives transfer speeds are?  mine says
something like ~'hdds=33mb/sec'  on bootup....

On Sunday 19 November 2000 12:37, you wrote:

> > I dunno whats up with this. But this is dreadful!
>
> I am in the middle of copying a large file (1.2GB) from my home directory
> to my Windows partition. Both partitions are on two seperate hard drives,
> on two different channels of two different EIDE controllers. Both drives
> are heavily optimized running in ATA 66 mode.
>
> You'd think it would copy faster than 8 freaking megs per minute!!!!!!
>
> I don't need help. I know everything is configured correctly. And normally
> file I/O is pretty quick. But this is ridiculous.
>
> Just complaining. Feel free to ignore me.

-----
Created with Linux Mandrake 7.2!
http://www.linux-mandrake.com