Thank you Lars for your help,

(I also appreciate help from EagleIce regarding boot levels)
Now the install is OK and the upgrades are made (including
kdebase). Networking is working too.
Next step:
1. No log files (like messages, kernel.log etc) are
created. Where to change that?
2. Where to disconnect/change user of autologin (except rpm -e)
3. XFree86 V4 & Banshee, separate posting.
4. grub: is it sufficient to edit /etc/lilo.conf? What about
/boot/grub/menu.?? lilo is non-functional? Why is it installed?

Thank you for your help, maybe I won't switch to another
distribution. I'm still not fluent enough in Mandrake;(