Hi,

I have a "Alcatel speedtrhough home"  ADSL modem which works pefectly in
windows nut I have problems connecting it in Linux Mandrake 7.2. I read
several howtos on internet but none of them worked.

This is my network setup:

1 AMDK6-2 500Mhz
1 realtech ethernetcard (eth 0)
1 alcatel ADSL-modem
________________________________

I set up my computer with a network adress in Linux (IP: 10.0.0.100, netmask
255.0.0.0,  No DNS configured)
My modems IP adress is 10.0.0.138 (this is the same as in windows).
In windows I don't have to configure a DNS server so I did not do this under
linux, apparently the modems sorts this out in windows and my ISP does not
give me details about it.

In linux i can do a ping to my modem (10.0.0.138)
With netscape I can browse to it to see the setup (just type 10.0.0.138) in
the browser.
I can even telnet to the modem (although I can not execute commands, I get a
prompt that I am connected to a alcatel modem version 3.2).

So far so good yoy would think.  Well under windows the same thing.  I can
go to the modem etc.  But in Windows I am able to set up a connection.  In
Linux my adsl-start command times out.

I installed rp-pppoe  and tried to set the modem up with command adsl-setup.
I entered the following:

eth0
<my pppoe username.
<Blank DNS>  (just pressed enter).
<my pppoe password>

So this is about it.  I installed everything like the HOWTO said.  But it
does not work.
I cannot connect to the telecom provider ( I need to connect to this first
before I can connect to the ISP).

HELP!!!.  I dont know what to do.

It looked very easy in Mandrake to setup a ADSL connection but it does not
work.  I hope someone has a suggestion.  (Btw  I live in the Netherlands and
have a mxstream connection from KPN-telecom, if someone has a same conection
please email me for suggestions).

I setup the (linux-computer) as: follows:
10.0.0.100 is my eth0  (ethernet card)
10.0.0.138 is my gateway  (same adress as ADSL modem).
No DNS adress configured.

Hope someone can help me out.  It's driving me crazy (especially when it
work in windows and not in linux, I am not used to that).