> actually Larry I'm not so sure about that. Not 100% positive that you're
> correct and I'm wrong about this either. But I thought about this when I
> first setup Sendmail and the account with dyndns.org. So, I sent myself a
> test message from work one day knowing full well that I wouldn't be home
> for another 4 hours or so to connect my machine and be able to receive
> any mail.

Mark, I don't think there is a "right" and "wrong" here.  Whether
inbound mail will continue to reside on the source server will depend
on how that server is set up.  Most will bounce mail after some period
of time.  Some servers get mighty unhappy when they start receiving
mail that causes them trouble.  What those time lags are is certainly
up to the server.  Have you never had a msg bounced back to you after
some period of time as undeliverable?  Have you never received a
courtesy msg from a server that's been unable to connect to a target
but they're continuing to try?  These are things that occur because of
what I'm talking about.

> However, about 5 minutes after I connected to my ISP I received the
> message that I had sent to myself earlier in the day. I don't know if the

Then your server continued to send that message for a few hours.  I
think the question here is how long would it do that before it
concluded the msg was undeliverable and bounced it back to the author
as undeliverable?

> message sat at the other server and then when ddclient connected with
> dyndns.org the message was then relayed to my machine or not. I don't as

If this is where all your mail is buffered it should be a simple
matter to ask them what their bounce delay is.  I don't think you'd
want a network system that didn't time out on this as you'd have no
confidence that any of your mail ever got to the people you were
sending them to.  They could be just sitting on servers somewhere
trying to be sent forever.

Cheers --- Larry