The funny thing is that I've had absolutely no problems with speed, or
MandrakeUpdate with my install.  I'm running it on an AMD Duron 600 with
224 MB RAM with no problems.  Gnome Sawfish loads incredibly fast,
ReiserFS works great.

The only problem I have is that the nv drivers for my Viper V770 aren't
too stable, and X crashes when it isn't used over a period of time (a
pretty long one).  But since i do almost everything in Console anyways,
it's not really necessary.  As soon as I get around to installing the
nvidia drivers that should be fixed completely.

Someone else on this list said it best when they said "Before you blame
the distro, take a look around to see if others are having the same
problems."  Basically, mine works great, no complaints here at all.

Cheers

There's plenty of semicolons to go around