I currently bought a Toshiba S301 laptop. I have win2k on one partition and 7.2 on the
other. I have most everything working great with the exception of sound and modem.
I figure the Xircom modem in it is a winmodem of type. I am not so worried about that
as I have ordered a 3Com pcmcia modem. My problem is getting the sound to work.
It is a Yamaha DS-XG, mandrake chose to use Alsa, and that is fine. However all I get
for sound is a continuous noise. What do I need to look at to get this card working?
I have been to a great page on linuxnewbie.org, followed all the steps and ended with
this. Before this I got some module dep. fail on bootup.
Also, I chose not to install a bootloader since I didn't know if win 2k and linux
would
be happy with grub (preference) or lilo. If anyone could tell me if it will work if I
install
either one of these, that would be great too!

Any help greatly appreciated,

Brian D. Klar - CVE
OTS
WPAFB