I have seen some buggy rpms that will error out during an update and
leave the original package showing installed in the database. In
addition the package is not removable with the rpm -e command. So you
can rpm -e --allmatches rpmname (and if necessary use --nodeps) to
remove the offending mess then do a new install of the rpm.

tom berkley