If you have another OS, can you plat music CDs in that?

If you don't, try connecting your speakers into the headphone jack at the front
of your CDROM drive rather than your soundcard. You might not have a CDaudio
cable.

Mike

Michael O'Henly wrote:

> Hi...
>
> I'm running Linux-Mandrake 7.2. My CD device is an HP8100 CDRW (supported
> hardware). I have no trouble using this device as a CD-ROM drive or to burn
> CDs, but I cannot play music CDs.
>
> When I launch the CD Player application, I can eject, select tracks, etc., so
> I know that I'm able to address the drive. I have no trouble with streaming
> audio or playing .wav files either, so I'm not suspecting a problem with the
> sound card (SoundBlaster 128 PCI, Esoniq 1371 driver).
>
> I've done a Google search which tuned up LOTS of similar reports but no
> solutions.
>
> Is this a recognized problem -- perhaps having to do with SCSI emulation on
> an ATAPI/IDE CDRW?
>
> Any insights here would be most appreciated.
>
> Thanks.
>
> M.
>
> --
> Michael O'Henly
> TENZO Design

Mike MacCana     Support Consultant
          C Y B E R S O U R C E
   Level 9, 140 Queen St Melbourne 3000
Ph : +61 3 9642 5997 Fax: +61 3 9642 5998