In trying to fix my problem with desktop devices not working, I altered my
fstab for cdrom, zip, and floppy to eliminate the supermount and made them
the old-fashioned manual mount devices.  I would like to go back to
supermount but cannot recall the syntax and there is no backup fstab with the
supermount entries in them.

As for the problem with the devices and directories...I deleted .kde, .kderc,
and my Desktop directory and then restarted kde 2.1.  It recreated my Home,
and Trash icons.  They did not work when selected.  Instead I  would get the
"Open with" dialog box.  I selected "Home directory" as instructed in another
message.  It worked.  It does NOT work if I create the item myself via the
desktop menu with Create new...-> CDROM, Floppy, etc, device.

So.  I now have the Trash and Home directory icons working on my desktop.  I
need to now try AGAIN to create my harddrive, zip, cdrom, and floppy devices
and try to get THEM working.