Try Galeon,

Mike MacCana            Support Consultant
          C Y B E R S O U R C E
   Level 9, 140 Queen St Melbourne 3000
Ph : +61 3 9642 5997 Fax: +61 3 9642 5998

On Sat, 23 Dec 2000, Scott Tyson wrote:

> If that is true why does Nutscape 6.0 load the Java VM (again this is on the win2k
>version, my linux workstation is scrubbed so I cannot compare)?  It might not be the
>renderer but some part of Nutscape is using the Java VM.

I have a Win2K machine myself. Sorry, not Java VM proces shows up.

> Also its renderer is not even in the same ball park as NS 4.75 let alone IE.  Its
>slow crap.

The UI is slow crap. The rendering engine is insanely fast, and Galeon,
AOL for Linux, the upcoming NeoPlanet Gecko preview, and KMeleon [the
windows equivalent Gaelon] prove this, as well as the mozilla kpart,
and a shitload of benchmarks.

> I'd much rather use Konquerer or IE or Opera or plane old 4.75.

I would too. I'd also rather use Mozilla,, who seem to have a better
reputation for quality than netscape.

It renders pages far better then standard NS though but its still very buggy and very
slow.

Netscape 6 is buggy and slow. That's because Mozilla took the rather
overambition step of trying to create a pixel for pixel perfect cross
platform UI in XML, and because netscape 6 is a particularly slow version
or this UI.

That doesn't mean the rendering engine is slow, or that Moz per se is.

It sure as hell doesn't mean the UI is in java. www.mozilla.org and read
about XUL. Im sorry, but you're wrong about the UI. It ain't java, read
the source code.

Mike