On Friday 29 December 2000 05:16 am, you wrote:
> Anyway, heres the console message when testing the KDE RPM upgrade
> installation;
>
> [root@mdw1982 KDE2.0.1]# rpm -Uvh --test *.rpm
> error: kdebase-2.0.1-1mdk.i586.rpm cannot be installed
> error: failed dependencies:
>         kdelibs = 2.0 is needed by kdelibs-sound-2.0-5mdk
>         kdelibs = 2.0 is needed by kdelibs-devel-2.0-5mdk
>         kdelibs = 2.0 is needed by kdelibs-sound-devel-2.0-5mdk

Ahh, fuel for the fire of the RPM flamewar :)  This is one of my biggest
gripes about the RPM System in general.  It is complaining about the
dependencies of the kdepackages that are *already* installed.  By
installing the *new* version of kdelibs (i.e. 2.0.1) you will break three
packages that rely on the *old* version of kdelibs (i.e. 2.0).

The work around is simple, since I am assuming you are also going to be
upgrading the kdelibs-sound, -devel, and -sound-devel packages to 2.0.1 as
well.  Either rpm -e kdelibs-sound, -devel, and -sound-devel, or use the
--nodeps option.  ONLY use the last option if this is the only dependency
failure, or if all of the dependency failures are non-failures.

<rant>
The RPM debate has flown all over this list as well as many others but
this is a PRIME example of why the RPM system needs to be changed.  It
does NOT properly deal with dependencies.  I realize that package
management is complex and there are times when the admin needs to make a
decision to override the standard install method and that RPM has the
flexibility to do that.  But the ease of installation of new software
packages is one of the biggest stumbling blocks for people who would
switch from MS to Linux in various situations.  From what I gather, apt
has a very good system for dependecy determination and satisfaction.  And
that part of the problem with RPM is poorly crafted rpms.  And this is a
necessary tool for administration purposes.  Ah well, its Friday...
</rant>

--
Matthew Micene                     A host is a host from coast to coast,
Systems Development Manager        and no one will talk to a host too close