"Mark Hillary" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> I have that file to, it was there before I complied anything.Plus the file
> doesn't really take up any space as the proc file system is a kernel file
> system as in none of the files are there when you ask the kernel to look at
> one it creates it then and destroys it when you are finished. Also it think
> the file is a representation of you system memory. Do you have 320Mb by
> chance.
>
> So all in all don't worry about this file as it is not really there.
>
> Mark Hillary

As Mark said - /proc/kcore is an 'imaginary file'.

Huh?

Everything in /proc is supplied from the system, and is not actually
resident on the disk.  (to verify this, do 'du -sk /proc' ;-)
And /proc/kcore is 'kernel core' ('core' is sort of an alias for 'memory',
sorta.  Us old-timers remember what core REALLY is/was ;-) - or, put
yet another way - /proc/kcore is a snapshot of your RAM.  (I say 'snapshot'
rather than 'view into' because updates to /proc/kcore may happen some
time AFTER the memory actually changes).  Writing to it is a really
bad idea, by the way.  And, as Mark says, /proc/kcore should be exactly
the same size as your RAM.

There are lots of other useful files in /proc also, like /proc/interrupts
which tells you which interrupts are set up, and /proc/net/netstat.

'man proc' will do an even better job of describing what's there!

rc

Rusty Carruth          Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825