Sounds normal for an Inspiron and that's the same reponse for info that
I get from my Inspiron 7k but the sound works just fine. Make certain
that you adjust the sound with the volume control on the the side of
your box first ( does the the 5k have an external volume control??). My
sound works fine but I usually compile the maestro 2 driver into a
custom kernel and use that. Since I'm still using 7.1 on the laptop, I
do not remember if I ever got the stock mandrake install kernel to make
the sound work. But if you make your own kernel, it should work fine.
Remove all references in the kernel options for sound except for the
Maestro 2 driver and it will work just fine.

Tom Berkley