On Tuesday 02 January 2001 07:31 pm, you wrote:
> A couple questions...
>
> 1) If I compile a new kernel for mdk 7.0, are there any additional,
> Mandrake-specific things I need to do?

No, there is nothing funky Mandrake has added as patches to the stock
kernel that is necessary for Mandrake to function properly.

> 2) Does anyone know what's different about Mandrake's "-secure"
> kernel version?

the -secure kernel includes Solar Designer's OpenWall patch to the kernel.
 It is IMO a nice patch that fixes (or breaks depending on your view) a
few of the inherent insecurities in the UNIX mindset (like everyone being
able to see all running processes with ps).  Its a useful patch, and I
have included it in every box I have built.  Save one, Win4Lin doesn't
like something the OpenWall patch does, and I haven't spent the time to
figure out what exactly.

--
Matthew Micene                     A host is a host from coast to coast,
Systems Development Manager        and no one will talk to a host too close