On January  3, 2001 10:03 pm, you wrote:
> Hi guys,
>       I did a stupid thing. I tried to update the Kernel from 2.2.X to
> 2.2.16 using the Update manager. Little needs to be said -- it didn't work.
> In fact my system won't boot anymore. I get a System Panic can't mount root
> fs on 08:05. Anyway I need to back out of the Kernel upgrade. Does update
> manager move the old Kernel and system.map ..etc to backups or does it
> overwrite everything...?
>
> I know I need to run a recovery shell. I'm using 'tomsrtbt ver 2.0.37' I
> can boot with a floppy but I can't seem to mount the root (/) sda5 disk
> where my original Linux is stored. Any help beyond this point would be
> great, especially when I finally get the /boot mounted what do I do to
> repair the flubbed-up Kernel upgrade? Anyone have any answers...?

Did you make a boot disk on install? If you did, boot off of this disk and
then reinstall the 7.2 kernel RPMS.

If not, mount the root file system somewhere else and possibly copy over the
appropriate files by hand.

> Fernando Proietto
> Linux 7.1
> PII-350-128M

"... all thoughts of selfish desire, ill-will, hatred and
 violence are the result of a lack of wisdom ... "
 - Buddha

For an awsome fantasy role playing game checkout:
http://members.xoom.com/Lycadican