Well,
  I tried using fdisk to create the partition, and I also tried making the
partition hda4 (primary 4) rather than hda5 (logical 1), neither helped. I had
also received a suggestion that perhaps the problem was caused by backing up a
step during installation - however, I made sure not to backup during installation
too.
  The end result is a full installation (which I can view by mounting the
partition in SuSE), which doesn't install a boot loader or any Linux kernel.

Once again, my hard disk layout looks like this:

>   hda1 [/boot for suse 15 megs] (Mandrake mount point: /boot-suse)
>   hda2 [Windows 98 9 gigs] (Mandrake mount point /mnt/windows)
>   hda3 [Linux Extended]
>   hda5 [Mandrake [ReiserFS*] 1.4 gigs] (Mandrake mount point /)
>   hda6 [Linux Swap 133 megs] (Shared swap between SuSE and LM)
>   hda7 [SuSE Linux [ReiserFS] 6 gigs] (Mandrake mount point /suse)

  *I've also tried ext2 on the Mandrake partition - it doesn't work either way.

  Any more ideas? I'd really like to give Mandrake a try, however it's being quite
a bit more annoying than SuSE, Caldera, or RedHat at the moment.

   Thanks,
        Tim

         Merry Christmas to you from Universal Networks!
Timothy R. Butler                              Universal Networks
Information Tech. Consultant    Christian Web Services Since 1996
ICQ #12495932 AIM: Uninettm       An Authorized IPSwitch Reseller
[EMAIL PROTECTED]        http://www.uninetsolutions.com