Hassle is as follows
cd test (a blank directory)
mv /download/linux-2.4.0.tgz ./ (can't remember if it was a tgz or tar.gz)
tar xvzf linux-2.4.0.tgz

then look at the structure it unloads to...you find
test-|
     |-linux-|
             |-kernel-2.4.0-|
                            |-usual Kernel stuff

so I actually did make xconfig in ~/test/linux

The kernel source uncompresses in a linux top-level directory, all the 2.2
stuff I've seen used to uncompress to a kernel top level that everyone
symlinked linux to. To me that adds more fire to the comment in the readme that
not using /usr/src/linux is intentional

PS...back to the original problem....id the directory /root/linux was already
there and the source uncompressed, it would have decompressed
to /root/linux/linux

gota love it don't ya?

This mail sent through IMP: www.netspace.net.au