Plus Fireball drives are not SCSI.

Rusty Carruth <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on 2001-01-11 10:28:04 AM

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:    (bcc: Scott Walker/MTL/BAM/ActiMedia)

Subject:  Re[2]: [expert] SCSI harddrive and LM 7.1

"John J. LeMay Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> ** Reply to message from "Zeljko Vukman" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> on Thu, 11 Jan 2001
> 10:47:08 +0100
>
> > Hi Mandrakes,
> > I'm in a little trouble and I hope Mandrake experts could help here.
> > I admit, I never before used SCSI devices, and yesterday when I bought
> > a new computer I got a scsi harddrive quantum fireball 20 Gb. I have no
> > idea how to get it work with my Linux Mandrake 7.1. I tried all scsi
> > options
> > during install but no luck. Mandrake doesn't recognize it at all.
> > I presume that problem is in controler, and windows says that SCSI
> > controller is: Win 95-98 Promise Ultra100(tm) IDE Controler (PDC20265).
> > Is there any way to get it work?

um, hold on a minute.  Unless I read this wrong, a Promise Ultra100 IDE
controller
is NOT a scsi conroller, and will not work with a SCSI drive.

Like John said:

Does windows see the Quantum?

When you boot linux, what is detected (look at /var/log/messages or use
'dmesg' (which may or may not give the right info!))?

In windows, (I'm doing this from memory, so I may miss some parts or have
them in the wrong place, sorry!) start up the 'my computer' thingy, and
look at whats under the 'devices' tab.  Do you see anything in there that
says SCSI?    If not, the problem is more basic than getting linux to
work with your SCSI, its a problem of getting scsi to work at all

rc

Rusty Carruth          Email:     [EMAIL PROTECTED] or [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Voice: (480) 345-3621  SnailMail: Schlumberger ATE
FAX:   (480) 345-8793             7855 S. River Parkway, Suite 116
Ham: N7IKQ @ 146.82+,pl 162.2     Tempe, AZ 85284-1825

.