When our kernel is compiled right (i2c, video4lin,  msp3400, bt878 (in new
2.4 or bt804) as modules, you have to make folowing changest to
/etc/modules.conf:

# i2c
alias char-major-89 i2c-dev
options i2c-core i2c_debug=1
options i2c-algo-bit bit_test=1

# bttv
alias char-major-81 videodev
alias char-major-81-1 bttv

# make alsa + msp3400 play nicely
# options snd-card-ens snd_index=0
# options msp3400 mixer=1

pre-install bttv; /sbin/modprobe -k msp3400; /sbin/modprobe -k tvmixer;
/sbin/modprobe -k tuner type=5

options bttv card=10 radio=1 pll=1
options tuner debug=1 type=5

post-install bttv /sbin/modprobe -k msp3400; /sbin/modprobe -k tvmixer

this works well for me
maybe you have to change your tuner type

Let me now if it works for you to

Luk

--
Luk Vermeylen