On Tuesday 16 January 2001 02:07 pm, Chris Spencer wrote:
> For any other people out there who like to compile their own kernels
> I noticed that a Supermount patch for 2.4 final has been released.
> Since I'm out of town I haven't had a chance to patch my own kernel
> (and I don't feel like doing it over an ssh connection :) ) but
> here's the URL:
>
> http://www.geocities.com/alexismikhailov/supermount.html

    I've tried with several 2.4 kernels up to -4mdk, to get supermount
working.  No luck.  My last attempt was yesterday with
kernel-2.4.0-4mdk.src.rpm  which contains among other patches:
 linux-2.4.0-reiserfs-3.6.25.patch
 linux-2.4.0-supermount-0.5-with-reiserfs.patch

  I applied those patches and 'make xconfig'  where Reiserfs and
supermount were available as either buildin(Y) or module(M).  I tried
both ways and several combos (eg, YY, YM, MY, MM).  Still, the kernel
boots fine on Reiserfs, BUT no supermount. 'supermount -i enable' has
no effect.  Just for smiles and grins I also tried the patch on the
-4mdk source from kernel-source-2.4.0-4mdk.i586.rpm.  It failed with
the message that the patch was already done, as I suspected it would.
A kernel compiled from the mandrake source from that rpm does the same
thing.  Kernel boots fine, everything works EXCEPT supermount. The
situation is the same for the ready made -4mdk kernels.

   I've 'bout made up my mind that 2.4 is NBFD, and certainly not worth
fsck'in with. Specially since it seems to have nothin to offer me over
2.2.18 except breaking supermount and causing minor problems for a few
other K apps (Knode, Knapster, ....)
--
Tom Brinkman       [EMAIL PROTECTED]     Galveston Bay