One possiblity may be the ide=autotune (not sure of exact syntax)
arguments to the kernel on bootup (grub's menu.lst or lilo.conf).  When
7.2 came out, I remember some complaints along these lines, the cure
being to remove autotune and manually set up the disks using hdparm if
neccessary.  Or have you used hdparm and pushed the disks past their
limits?

BillK