--On Thursday, January 18, 2001 6:28 PM -0500 Mark Weaver
<[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> I have an idea. Why don't we just catch these friggin virus writers, ship
> them off to a tropicl atol, and test one the new atomic bombs that one of
> the third world countries is developing.
>
> Seriously though...it's about darn time that something SERIOUS be done
> about and WITH these people that are a great big pain in the arse to the
> rest of the world that HAVE a real life and a descent direction for that
> life.

A - For those of us born and raised in first world countries we forget that
the world is mostly a wild place.  The net is mostly a wild place.

B - Go ahead.  Do that.  First, you won't be able to catch most of them.
Secondly, you will sacrifice all of _your_ privacy in order to catch any
significant percent of them.  Each additional percent caught will cost more
then the previous.

C - Until it costs more to commit one of these crimes than the benefit
extracted (money, enjoyment, fame, etc.) people will do it.  Right now it's
simply too easy.  Do you keep your money in a shed and kill everyone that
attempts to steal it?  No, you keep it in a bank or something more secure
(like the stock market? ;-)  Until people watch their data like they watch
their money this is going to happen all the time.

D - It may be fun to talk about atols but securing your box is a better way
to spend your time.

Cheers,

Scott Patten