For what it's worth,  ReiserFS was only merged into the 2.4.1-pre8
kernel yesterday. (see:
http://linuxtoday.com/news_story.php3?ltsn=2001-01-18-004-04-NW-KN)
It never was in the 2.4.0 source. This may not help your supermount
patching though. Just passing on some info; my kernel patching experience
is limited to smooth sailing ... no troubleshooting.

Dave.

[snip]
>Even though the install let me install the os on my reiserfs partitions,
>the kernel that were booted from (2.4.0) didn't seem to have reiserfs in
>it, since it errored on mounting my root disk (seems it tried to mount
>it as ext2, even if I haven't had ext2 on this machine at all, in fact,
>the only fs that has ever been on any of my new disks is reiserfs)
[snip]