Thanks to all who responded to my last posting on X.

I have tried reinstalling LM 7.2 several times, and at no time does it
prompt me to select whether I want XFree 3.3.x or 4.0.x. I suspect that part
of the problem (or maybe the whole problem) is that my video card is a
Hercules Geforce II MX, which is not listed under the choices for the
supported video cards. I am using the "recommended" install option; when I
tried "custom", despite specifically deleting all GNOME related files (I
want to be using KDE 2), the system comes back up using only GNOME. I cannot
figure out if this is an install bug or what.

In any case, I tried to install XFree 4.0.2 by d/l'ing all the appropriate
files from www.xfree.org and installing them. Although running the
XInstall.sh script SEEMS to work, I cannot then run any of the configuration
scripts, which basically just hang. I also cannot start X manually (with the
startx command). I suppose I could just try manually creating a
configuration file...any tips on that?

I know that i will need the nvidia drivers for X 4.0.x from nvidias web
site - perhaps I need to d/l them first and manually create the
configuration file. As an aside, I CANNOT get the system to switch to
runlevel 5 after installing XFree 4.0.2 - even though I issue the command
/sbin/telinit 5 as root, the system boots to runlevel 3, which I assume is
because startup up X crashes.

Can anyone set me straight on all of this? I'd had to bail on Mandrake - is
seems to have done so much else well onthe install, even (apparently)
realizing I have a CD burner and setting up a pseudo SCSI drive for it so I
can burn CDs...

Thanks.
Neal