From: Stephen Carville [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]
Sent: 22 January 2001 15:15
To: '[EMAIL PROTECTED]'
Subject: Re: [expert] Mandrake 7.2 and DNS Server

On Mon, 22 Jan 2001, Martin, Debi (REO) wrote:

- Hi,
-
- I have installed Mandrake 7.2 on a Pentium III pc and need to configure
the
- machine as a DNS
- server.
-
- Can anyone here help ?
-
- I've configured the DNS server settings in Linuxconf but if i type
nslookup
- on the command
- line, an error message appears that says 'server unavailable'. Its not
even
- using the 5 second
- timeout before the error message comes up.

Make sure named is running.  If not, start it (/etc/init.d/named
start) and watch the output in /var/log/messages.  I use tail -f for
this.  You would be surprised how often this is the problem :-)

Try using dig instead of nslookup.  Dig provides much better
information on how a request was processed so debugging is easier

Frankly. I advise ignoring Linuxconf for DNS.  It is a nice tool for
some things but it sucks for DNS administration.  Some people have
reported good results with webmin but I have never used it.

At the very least, read the DNS-Howto.  It will step you thru the
basics of setting up a caching only server and a simple domain server.
If you have to admin a large domain or a number of domains (or your
employer will pay for it), get a copy of DNS and Bind from O'Reilly.
The third edition is a little dated but it will still save you a lot
of headaches.

Check out the ISC website:  http://www.isc.org/products/BIND/

If necessary, I can post some working files you can use as a template
but I need to know something about your goal.

--
--Stephen Carville
http://www.heronforge.net/~stephen/gnupgkey.txt