Well...maybe I am being a bit Mule-ish about all this, but here's another
reason why I "need" to know what happening and how to fix it manually.
"If" I can get PM to read the disks from Windows, OR from DOS there is the
risk that once the partitions problem is fixed things will have changed
"inside" those partitions and the kernel no longer sees things as its
expecting to find them, panics, and subsequently refuses to boot at all.

New problem...partitions no longer overlapping, but kernel has no idea
where the boot info is cause it's not where it was the last time it was
read into memory.

This has happened to me in the past and because of this I'm extremely
hesitant to use partition magic, or for that matter diskdrake.

Very like what is going to happen is that since the "data" on these
partitions is backed up on another disk already I may find myself
reinstalling just to get this situation resolved should it become too much
of a problem for the OS to handle. Still, I'm at the same place, at least
for now, I need to know "how" to fix this the hard way so that I can take
care of it. I have a feeling that this isn't the last time that I'll see
it.

Mark