-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]]On Behalf Of John J. LeMay Jr.
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2001 11:45 PM
To: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
Subject: Re: [expert] How to move /usr to another partition?

> I tried 'cp -a' and um...tarballing with permissions
> etc, and ....i'm not sure if i tried anything else.

The method I've found to work is to tar up usr, un-tar it in it's new home,
make the change in /etc/fstab, reboot, and then remove the old usr (after
remounting it as "oldusr" or something). "cp cannot handle the job," and if
you
remove the old usr before changing it's mount none of your libs will be
found
and just about everything will start failing immediately.

---

NOT SO!

"CP" with the proper options works just fine!

I don't know how many dozen times I've done it myself. I did this yesterday
to move my /usr partition to a new hard drive.

As long as all relative links and file permissions are kept it works just
great.
Problems occur only when the softlinks span devices or partitions after the
copy.

Softlinks do not support this, so this can cause BIG problems, even when
using TAR instead.

The tar/untar suggestion is normally unfeesible on systems with disk space
problems as you must have enough space to house the tar file you create.

Piping the output does work, but why bother when you CAN "cp" it.

-JMS