You can also install the xinetd rpm package (in the Mdk-7.2 distrib) in
place of the telnet one.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]@linux-mandrake.com on 30/01/2001 12:54:52

Please respond to [EMAIL PROTECTED]

Sent by:  [EMAIL PROTECTED]

To:   [EMAIL PROTECTED]
cc:

Subject:  Re: [expert] telnet on vers 7.2

En réponse à richard <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>:

> Hi all, need some help with this one
>
> The machine has 2 NIC's on connected to a local network, which full
> access
> is required from , the other to a cable modem.
>
> I need to be able to route and telnet in to this machine, as well as
> telnet
> to localhost.
> Telnet seems to be disbled.
> any attempt to telnet to port 23 is refused , but I can ftp to it .
>
> I checked in /usr/sbin and in.telnetd was missing, I've tried replacing
> the
> missing deamon with one from a Redhat distro.
> but still no telnet function.
> I also need to be able to disable the firewall so I can run my on
> firewall

I think you have to install the package telnet-server to be able to run
telnet.
But, use ssh-open-server, it's much better and secure.

> scripts for ipchains.
> Ive moved from a Suse ditro as I'm fed up with yast rewrinting config
> files
> at random. I like Mandrake but it fails in being too secure.
>
> The immediate thing that must be got functional is routing and masq from
> the
> LAN which has a 44.0.0.0 domain through to the internet.
>
> One thing I do lkike is the ability to use fiixed ip adresses on one
> ethernet
> port and dchp on the port connected to the cablemodem.
>
> Or have I like with Suse to disable the dchp deamon and just use the
> client
> after the first ethernet port is set up so that the second port eth1 can
> be
> used with a fixed ip address..
>

> urgent help needed here as a gateway is down at the moment.
>
> TIA richard

This message may contain confidential information and is intended solely
for the use of the addressee. If you are not the intended recipient of
this message, please notify the sender immediately and do not disclose,
use, disseminate or copy this message.
The information contained in this message is subject to Systemat's
General Terms and Conditions. Any personal opinion expressed in this
message reflects the opinion of the sender and not Systemat's opinion.

=?iso-8859-1?Q?$RFC822.eml?=