Forgive me for asking, but what do you mean by a false identiy?

Isn't a congested network that doesn't have enough bandwidth for an ICMP
packet a problem?

Assuming the congestion problem is not persistent, you could either increase
the ping count from 4 and/or use "-i" to set a longer send interval, thus
increasing your sample duration.  Just how long will you accept to type of
congestion you're concerned about?  Your tolerence exceeds mine!

You might consider analyzing traceroute output, perhaps you can identify
"acceptable" lag within your subnet.