Gary Bond wrote:

> --- "Altoine B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > Either you go to a mandrake mirror and download and
> > install the package
> > or you can search www.rpmfind.net for the package
> > and download it that
> > way. These are the choices. I hope that this is
> > helpful?
> >
> > Cheers
> > -- Al
> >
> Thanks Al
> Ifound the M4 package and downloaded it. Then I
> switched to root on console mode. Did the rpm test
> came out OK. Did the rpm install no apparent problems.
> Did the rebuilddb OK. Did the update-menus OK. Now I
> have no Xwindows at all. I get a "fatal server error
> could not open default font 'fixed'. What do I do now?

> Namezero.com. New!  Namezero Plus domains now available.
> Find out more at: http://www.namezero.com

You have to manually start and stop xfs. But if you want a quick hack.
Open up XF86Config-4 with your favorite editor and go to the line
pointing to your font path. unmark by putting # in front of the FontPath
unix/:-1 like this

#     FontPath    "unix/:-1"

The cool thing about this hack is that it forces the drakfont (I think
that is correct) to point to the new fonts directory (more than likely,
it wrote over some application font path conf files). You can reboot and
it will still work. After rebooting, you can remove the "#" comment from
XF86Config-4. The other way, I haven't tried first but was irrelevant
after doing the above option but I got this from a netscape forum.

/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs stop
/etc/rc.d/init.d/xfs start

This has something to do with the X Font server (xfs) others and myself
conjecture. Try this one first before the other one, as I am dying to
know if that way really works. But if you look at the methods behind the
two...
they both target the X Font Server and do a disable-then-enable
approach. Possible bug.

Cheers,
-- Al

To manually start and stop your service use these two commands: