On Saturday 03 February 2001 05:43 am, Mark wrote:
> [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> > A possible replacement for Linux-Mandrake tools
> > (http://forum.mandrakesoft.com/article.php3?sid=20010203022113)

> > Chris Drake writes "I had a stunning idea that could possibly
> > destroy Microsoft's attude towards linux. Why not simply write a
> > program that reads Windows' registry and converts the configuration
> > into linux config files and even install packages based on the
> > registry (very early plan). For those who don't know much about
> > windows. EVERY bit of configuration is stored somewhere within the
> > registry. So a possible example of something we could do is read
> > TCP/IP information eg. IP ADDRESS, masks, DNS config

     One of the problems Windoze users have is their registry gets
bloated with extraneous, often conflicting keys and values.  So using
it to get config info would prob'ly result in disaster.  I dual boot,
always have. I was also an early M$ beta testor for W95 and also W98.
The best way to keep the registry clean and optimized is to not load
the GUI on boot, but stop at a pure DOS prompt, no windoze files
active. DOS 7.x tools, 'scandisk', then 'scanreg /fix' followed by
'scanreg /opt' keeps the registry, when done on a regular basis, in
good order.  BUT 99.99% of Windoze users would never bother doin that,
and the Windoze registry tools are ineffective for cleaning and
optimizing.  Also, while WinME is still run on top of DOS, it most
likely would present a whole 'nother bunch of problems.  I don't really
know, I still use W98 rc1.
--
Tom Brinkman             [EMAIL PROTECTED]       Galveston Bay