I have just been doing a "make xconfig" for the 2.4.1 kernel (I have MDK 7.2
installed with the default 2.2.18-mdk kernel running).

I have to cd devices: at /dev/hdc is a Pioneer DVD-105S DVD drive, and at
/dev/hdd is an HP CDRW drive. When I installed MDK, it was smart enough to
automatically configure scsi emulation support for the CDRW (although I
haven't actually burned a CD yet to see that it all works).

In doing the kernel config, as I understand things I need to include the
following to make this IDE-based CDRW work: SCSI support with generic SCSI
enabled but no specific SCSI drivers needed (because I don't really have a
SCSI card); enhanced IDE support; loopback support (for using the CD burning
software, among other things); SCSI-emulation support.

Does that sound right?

Neal